Tuesday, January 4, 2011

1st day of school

The night before the first day of school, she was whining: I hate school. I don't want to go to school. Why must it be so long. There will be so much homework. Why do I have to go to primary school? I want to be 5 years old forever and stay at (name of preschool)!

After a while she settled down and fell asleep.

Fortunately when I woke her up this morning she was quite chirpy. Ate her breakfast and we set of for school early. Nearer her school, there was a jam. It took us 15 minutes to get from the main road to the school which was a distance of approximately 200m. And that was at 6.40am! When we got there, about half the school was already there.

I found her teacher and introduced lil D. Immediately she started speaking to her in mandarin which drew a blank face. The teacher then asked if she understood mandarin, to which I replied "a little". Fortunately she switched to briefing her in English.

She then told D that she was to queue in the front every time the children queued up, so that she could keep an eye on her. She even reserved a front seat in the classroom for her! Kudos to the school also for changing the location of D's classroom( to the best of their ability) so that she doesn't have too many flights of stairs to climb just to get to class. Her class is now on level 5 instead of 6!

The P1s have buddies from P5 for the 1st 3 days of school. These buddies will show them around the school and teach them how to buy food in the canteen, etc. I don't know if it was planned but my daughter was assigned 2 buddies and both were prefects from the P5 class. Of course they took care of her. In fact I think they pampered her. They carried her water bottle for her, and even her snack box when it was recess time. They even promised to bring her a seaweed snack tomorrow!

After school , when I picked her, she declared: I love primary school. My buddies treat me like a queen!! I cant wait to go to school to see my buddies tomorrow.

Well, so far so good. I hope her attitude to school remains this positive :)

2 comments:

bp said...

YAY!!! i'm glad everything worked out nicely, the replacement teacher seems caring and understanding, hopefully means you can put aside your earlier concerns :)

so glad Her Majesty is loving primary school, and her earlier qualms are just what she picked up from the older sibs ;p

Alice Law said...

LOL, I hope my girl will enjoy her primary scholl too, as for now she always feels reluctant to go to her Montessori! Every morning she kept dilly dallying and I have to kept nagging on her...!^-^