Thursday, January 28, 2010

Country Bumpkin goes to town

Have not been to the business district for ages. But I went today - to do a delivery to one of my customers.

Whilst I was there, all those places that I used to frequent when I was still working beckoned me. I went by to the Golden Shoe Hawker Centre - heading straight for my favourite gado gado stall. But was disappointed coz I couldnt recognise the lady selling. Not sure if it was the same one, I didnt want to risk buying, coz I was afraid I wouldnt enjoy it. Even the lady manning my favourite assam pedas stall at the same hawker centre didnt look the same. So i skipped that stall too.

But, the Long House popiah stall was still there. After that I headed for Zaiton, another Malay food stall which I frequented in the good old days. I had their mee rebus, mee siam, and kueh lopes, and I "ta-powed" the lontong. The food was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO satisfying - especially the mee rebus. One of the best in town, I must say.

I am now in this very satisfied state, and think I should be going more often to that part of town. Only problem is that parking is so expensive there!

6 comments:

doc said...

i'm not familiar with good malay food in s'pore. where is this golden shoe place & how do i recognise zaiton?

iml said...

And I had to google to find where golden shoe hawker centre was!

stay-at-home mum said...

Hi Doc
Golden shoe is right smack in the financial district, very near to the Raffles Place MRt station, on market street. Just behind OUB building. Ask anyone when you are around there, and they will be able to point you to the right place.

But Zaiton is at the Arcade, just off the green at Raffles Place. It;s the only food stall in Arcade on the ground floor tucked in a corner.

stay-at-home mum said...

iml
Guess you never worked in that part of town.

Stardust said...

Country bumpkin? Wait till you see me go Ion!

stay-at-home mum said...

Stardust
Have fun at Ion when you next come home. Actually I also go a little gaga when I am at Ion. Have been lost there before!