Sunday, April 5, 2009

Qing Ming

or Tomb sweeping day falls on or around April 4 every year. A practice by the Taoists to remember ancestors at their grave sites. Young and old pray before the ancestors, sweep the tombs and offer food, tea, (joss) paper accessories to their ancestors.

My in-laws are observing it today. Tried to get my children to go with them, but they simply refused. (My kids and I are Christians). Why? They think graveyeards are scary, and they hate the idea of having to wake up so early. (In-laws usually leave at 5am to beat the crowds and traffic Jams)

I thought it would be a good experience for them. To experience what other religions do, and also to see what their great-grandparents graves look like. But I cant seem to convince them to go for the right reasons!

I managed to convince my son to go when I said: "If you go, you can skip Mandarin tuition". He immediately gave us a" "OK! I will go!!". But my older daughter, no matter what we dangled in front of her, she simply refused.

How? Tried all means , but not successful. Guesss we are not insistent enough. Next year must really get tough, and say: Must go, or else!!

2 comments:

iml said...

You are right, we should remember our ancestors regardless of race, language or religion. For we are their pride and joy.

stay-at-home mum said...

iml. in our days there was no negotiation, everyone goes. Now I guess, I made the mistake of asking "who wants to go".