Thursday, September 22, 2011

You can never prepare for EVERYTHING!

As many of you may know by now, the Primary School Leaving Examinations (PSLE) are just a week away. And the people on this little red dot are very kiasu (scared to lose) and kiasi (afraid to die).

Last year, my daughter's orthodontist was sharing with me the things he and his wife (both are dentists) did for their son who was doing his PSLE then. They forbade their son from playing with friends, and pumped him with vitamins in order that their son could stay healthy and not fall ill, in the run up to the exams as well as during the exams. My first reaction was: why didnt I think of that when my oldest was doing her PSLE? And of course, I kept that in mind for my son.

Well, this year is my son's turn to do those dreaded exams. So we have been reminding him to eat healthily and drink plenty of fluids so as not to fall ill. Then we heard about how a child in his school broke an arm playing football. So we forbade him to play football too, for fear of accidents that would render him injured.

Recently, a fellow Mum told me about how her daughter's calculator got stolen a week before the prelims, and that the school bookshop was out-of-stock for the approved calculator. Being kiasu parents, we hunted down the calculator and bought him an extra one, just-in-case his runs out of batteries, or gets stolen nearer the exams and we are not able to get the same one due to it being out-of-stock.

Then I sat on my spectacles last week, and it dawned on me that my clumsy son could possibly do the same.His spectacles had been returned to be fixed 3 times already and the optician did remind me that if it happened again, it may not be fixable! So we went and got him a spare pair of spectacles. Of course, we have also bought extra pens, pencils, sharpeners,erasers all in preparation for the big day. I think we have got all corners covered!

And then I heard about how his classmate got his toe stung by a bee in school!! How did that happen? That was my first reaction. Wasn't he wearing his shoes in school? Yes, he was. Then how could his toe get stung? Well, my son said. He was running when his shoe came off. And his foot landed on a bee on the ground and he got stung!!

Talk about luck! So now we are making sure my son wears shoes that will not fall off!!

So at the end of the day it's :
If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. You just cant cover all the bases!! We can only do so much. Lord, thy will be done.

3 comments:

bp said...

Press on N and you too SAHM, the great mommy you are, doing so much to help him in all the ways you can think of, but you are right...

Only so much we can do, and I believe N is giving his best :). Pray with you for God to take care of the rest -- N to ace this exams with flying colours, amen!

Do also take five in-between all the studying yah. I was going to say let N play ball in the safety of your yard, but you do what you're most comfortable with, of course :).

Keep going now, be thinking of you guys during this exam period! God bless! (gotto run, i have to come back and catch your other post later).

Stardust said...

I don't know to cry or laugh at this one! Gosh it must be so stressful! You've tried hard enough to proof the child against 'accidents', now rest your heart on Jesus and believe that N will just ace everything! AMEN!

Hugs, you have a restful while after his papers yah.

stay-at-home mum said...

BP - brought him swimming and then wondered if I did the wrong thing. What if he catches some germs and fall ill how? Typical kiasu!

Stardust - AMEN!