When D did her BMD (bone mineral density) test last year, the results had shown such improvement from the previous borderline one that we celebrated over it.
At that time I asked the Prof who was monitoring her if she would still have to do it on an annual basis. His reply then was that because it was so good, we could afford to wait a little longer before the next test.
At our last appointment he decided that he wanted her to do it again this year, exactly 12 months after her last one. I cant help but feel SOOOOO cheated. It's not the cost of doing it that matters,(though it would be good if it could be subsidised) but I feel that he is just not keeping to his word of being able to wait a longer while before the having to do it again ... and that he is just ordering it done to compile his statistics.
Guess, he doesnt realise the anxiety everyone in the family faces every time a test is due. What will the result be like? What will happen if it is below or is at the borderline level? Will she be forced to undergo pamidronate infusions? Missing school to get the test done is another bugbear!
Another professor had told me previously that BMD levels can fluctuate from time to time. And what if the test is done at a time when its at its lower than her average. Would it not then result in a course of action that may not be necessary?
Well, that time is near again. So you know how I am feeling ....