Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Who can we trust?

Apparently, no one!

Sorry for sounding so harsh, but I am beginning to lose faith in people's honesty.

Hubby drove my car to work one Friday evening when he had to go back to work. And he worked really late that night, coz of some important developments in the US. The next morning, when I was leaving the house to send lil D for her music class, I noticed that the front of the car was smashed! When I later asked him about it, he didnt even know about it! He suspects the driver of the orange car that was parked next to him , but with no proof, what can we do? You would expect the culprit to at least leave a note with his number, not?

Last evening, as we were trying to get organised for our trip, we discovered that we couldnt find our video cam. This was a NEW video cam which we bought specially for our France trip last December. I last used it in March when I recorded lil D's class assembly performance. We know where we left it, on the counter top. But now it has disappeared. I do not suspect the maids .... even tho I have lost things before. Read here and here about it. Instead I suspect the air-con servicing guys. You see, at the last visit which was just a short while after my last use of the video cam, the air-con guys came to service our aircons. I noticed that our regular servicing guy had a new assistant. They go around servicing the air-cons without any supervision from us. That's why I hate it when they send new people! But with no proof, we cant wrongly accuse anyone or do anything.

I guess we have ourselves to blame for this lax attitude, thinking that things in our home will not get stolen, and we can just leave it any and everywhere. We must learn to treasure our things more and have them under lock and key more often. Basic honesty expected from most is just not there ... and we should NEVER tempt people by leaving valuables lying around to make it easier for them. Sigh.

8 comments:

Stardust said...

Exactly. The car thing is unfortunate but the cam loss could have been prevented. Just be more careful next time lor..

You'd need a new cam for the Kyoto trip. ;)

iml said...

I too have been too trusting. The air-con man has been with us for years. We leave him alone to do his job. Timely reminder to all of us.

TripleJin said...

oh dear...so sorry to hear about this spate of bad luck. Sigh...

Jo said...

Poor you.. Anyway, it's a lesson learnt. This also reminds me to be more mindful of my handphone which I often casually leave on the table, even when outsiders enter the house.

So, are you in Kyoto now?? Enjoy yourselves and don't forget to post pictures! :)

bp said...

oh no, i hope you are able to get a new videocam, and your car repairs aren't exorbitant and can be sorted out/repaired b4 your trip. safe travels now!

Alice Law said...

Hello! Sorry to hear your lost... cheers and look at the bright side, atleast your car wasn't beaing stolen(touch wood) and it's your cam that missing, not your passport!^-^

Have a nice day ahead!

NomadicMom said...

I supposed you can get your maids to FOLLOW the guys around the next time.

Constance Chan said...

i once had the air cond fellas who acted like hooligans.. they insisted that we do chemical wash although we only did it few months ago.. then they kept on saying they dont guarantee if our pipe got choke or air cond not cold, bla bla bla... if we have been servicing it frequently, surely we do not expect such to happen just after one month of servicing? they just wanted to earn 'extra' i assume and when we decided not to do it that month. and guess what? we found some tissues stuck in the pipes.. can u believe things some will do? we never use these people after that.